Monday 16 April 2012

EVALUATION QUESTION 1

IN WHAT WAYS DOES YOUR MEDIA PRODUCT USE, DEVELOP OR CHALLENGE FORMS AND CONVENTIONS OF REAL MEDIA PRODUCTS?

My trailer was an example of a Observational documentary film trailer, which aimed to inform the audience about  the fashion world, concentrating predominantly on The Modeling IndustrySome of the documentary film trailers I watched and analyzed during my research, illustrated and conformed to some of these conventions. such as 'Vogue- The September Issue'


Conventions of an Observational mode documentary films is primarily using long takes, and occasionally close up shots, allowing the subjects and action of the feature to appear mostly unaware that they are being filmed, enabling the film to appear realistic, this it too reinforced by the producer/filmers presence being hidden, as well as no voice over being included.


LONG TAKE






CLOSE UP




Following on from this, instead of giving spoken narration, highlighted key facts and textual knowledge such as "LONDON, PARIS, NEW YORK, MILAN" are conveyed through text in a plain black/white background, these types of titles are displayed throughout.  As featured in many films of this particular genre, i used  a common convention in order to successfully distinct and categorize my film as  documentary.




In addition, non diegetic sound is also used, an example of this is music, The XX- Heart Skipped a Beat, as it emphasis the mood of the trailer as well as relating to the images/ moving visuals. However this choice of music is not used in all films in this genre, mostly instrumental pieces of music are used within trailers, in order to assist rather than distract form the person speaking or images being shown. However 'The September Issue' is too a contrast to this, through the use of a louder song which features lyrics. The song chosen to depicts the pace of the feature, as many directors use instrumental pieces the pace of heir film is slow, this is similar to my choice. 


HEART SKIPPED A BEAT - THE XX 



Furthermore, my trailer consists mainly of 'Charlotte' an established model within the industry, shots of her are anchored with titles, such as 'Every place,a different face' these words highlight the tone of the film as well as conveying to the viewer the principle content within the film. This is similar for Anna Wintour in 'The September Issue', shown throughout the duration of the trailer, she too is shown to the audience to be a 'legend and feared' through the use of text. Further more I also included Film awards this is too a common feature within most film trailer, both documentary and differing genres of film.


ANCHORING THE IMAGE 




FILM AWARD 



As my video was based around one girls life in the model industry, I believed it to be important to have an interview, which is a common convention of documentary films. However, when reviewing my footage and listening back on the interview, i did not think it fitted well into my trailer therefore instead of incorporating Charlottes dialogue into the  trailer, I instead featured her reactions, in doing so I highlighted a variety of her emotions (happy, serious etc) this assisted in establishing a relationship between the viewer and the protagonist.  This editing choice therefore challenges the conventions of real media products. 





Moreover, unlike any of the films that I watched and analyzed I decided to make the entirety of my film black and white, I decided to challenge this convention as I believed it would enable my piece to appear sophisticated and professional, the use of this colour scheme complimented the visual as well as assisting in enabling the viewer to focus solely upon the video content rather than being distracted.


No comments:

Post a Comment