Thursday 8 March 2012

EDITING



On reviewing my interview footage with Charlotte, I decided that the piece would look more professional if I change the colour of the entire video from Normalto Black & White. When doing this it was also important for me to consider the contrast and brightness of the clip, as this change effected the overall lightness and quality of the clip. Furthermore after this edit, I too decided to change the size of the frame, using the crop tool. When scaling the frame of the clip, I decided to change charlottes position form a medium shot, with her being situated central, to a close up shot as well as changing her from centre to the right hand side. As this interview was featured a lot in my trailer, the differing shots enabled the trailer to look more professional and interesting, rather the entirety of the interview being shot from the same distance and angle. 



As my film was based predominantly on Charlotte;a model. Who the film is set and based upon, I decided to include footage of her laughing, as this happened during the interview, there is evidently  both speech and laughter, therefore when reviewing my footage I decided to eliminate this sound, and make the clip silent, in doing so I was able to still include the footage of her laughing without the distraction of the dialogue.  Although this may seem to be an odd choice of clips, I believe that including this footage, highlighted a relationship between the 'talent' and the person filming, this expression of laughter showed that the film would be about one particular model therefore it showed her as a person rather than just a catwalk model. 



Further, similar to many of my differing clips, it was essential that I change the colour of this clip from normal to black&white,in order for it be consistent and coherent with the rest of my feature. In previous footage I had used clips of Charlotte laughing to highlight her role within the film, but for the opening of the trailer I decided I wanted to feature a clip where she looked serious, reflecting the actions of a models audition tape . However when I asked Charlotte to do this, the footage I got was not what I was looking for, therefore I re-watched all of the interview and edited clips where she was naturally moving but these had  a similar effect to the style I was looking for.  Once I had selected the clips I edited them so they were mute, and like before changed the scale of the frame so it was an extreme close up, ensuring the rule of thirds.




During my trailer I was keen on highlighting the famous 'model polaroid' this style of photograph is a common association to the model industry. As I filmed the clip in colour I had to change this to black&white. I believed this colour choice assisted in conveying the tone of my documentary film, as a documentary the film would be mainly factual and an insight into the competitive world of modeling.



After changing the colour of this specific clip, I also decided to change the scale of he frame, form a medium shot to a close up shot. In doing so I was able to highlight the models who feature on the polaroids clearer as there was not so many on screen at once, unlike before.



As my Documentary film was in the style of an observatory documentary, the narration which accompanied the visuals was limited. Therefore I gave narration through the appropriate use of Titles, which conveyed important and necessary imformation to the audience. From research this was a common convention of most trailers, whether they be a documentary film or an alternate genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment